[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - External storage.

External storage.

Sub forum for Parallella daughter cards and accessories

Moderator: Folknology

External storage.

Postby 0xFFFF » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:31 am

Hi All,

I'm not sure if I can resist pressing that 'Add to cart' button any longer. One thing that has helped prevent me from pressing said button is storage.
I would like to know what would be the best method for attaching fast external storage?
I would like to use a small (~120GB) SSD or similar.

Regards,

0xFFFF
0xFFFF

Re: External storage.

Postby hewsmike » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:40 am

Hmmmm ... the ( other ) USB port ?? :-)

Cheers, Mike.

( edit ) By that I mean the drive via the Ubuntu running on the ARM
hewsmike

Postby 0xFFFF » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:19 am

Ok. Thanks.
0xFFFF

Postby 9600 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:31 am

Since it has Gigabit Ethernet, NAS would also be a good option (although perhaps not as compact as an external USB HDD).

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby ndasusers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:06 pm

Good day. I want to offer a test device to you from NDAS. I have long imagined this is the right destination for this kind of storage. I did fine with my Sheevaplug in the past, and other linux computers for storing the data. I am very eager to offer you a device that you may give it a whirl on your powerful array. In the big industry, block storage certainly has a good footing. Perhaps this low cost solution will be useful in the small scale super computing arena. The Linux driver still works on Kernels up to 3.8 or so. Kernel 3.10 needs some re-writing as of this posting. To see more visit http : / / iocellnetworks.com and IOCELL Networks' github site https : / / github.com/iocellnetworks/ndas4linux . If a Parallella developer thinks it is worth a try, please contact me and I will arrange delivery of one of my own devices to you.
ndasusers

Postby 9600 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:36 pm

Andrew Back

Postby Gravis » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:48 pm

a modified parallella would make for an interesting NAS and software router combo. from what i've seen, software routers are only in use in enterprise level stuff for their ability to do cool stuff like advanced firewalls, deep packet inspection and are easily upgradable/customizable. i'm sure small businesses would love to have a router that would normally cost 10x the price. add storage and you could have a SQL server as well. you would "just" need a simple fpga for IO between the epiphany chip and devices which is really . :P

pile in additional epiphanies and you have a small network render farm too. however, i really like the idea of having an independent device that is a (blender) network renderer. depending on the price of an epiphany chip, it could be relatively affordable for regular joes that use blender while being able to scale indefinitely because blender can use multiple rendering devices.

so many options.
Gravis

Postby 9600 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:04 am

Andrew Back

Postby Gravis » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:37 am

Gravis

Postby tnt » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:59 am

tnt

Next