A 4-way cluster backplane

Sub forum for Parallella daughter cards and accessories

Moderator: Folknology

Re: A 4-way cluster backplane

Postby ticso » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:38 pm

You missed the cluster cable as part of the cluster offer in shop.
If I got it right those are custom build elink cables.
ticso

Postby hewsmike » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:32 pm

Sundance wrote:#hewsmike
I can't really be enthusiastic about a cluster at this time.

Fair enough. Always a good idea to play with one toy, before you want the next. Tried to teach my Kids that as well, but the P002 is NOT a "Cluster" system. It's has the function of adding 2x Parallella's via their Epiphany's eLink AND also provide the "Break-Out" for the FPGA lines to 0.1" Headers. It will be the easiest way to connect Xilinx JTAG cable, etc.

Got most of that, except the 'break-out' bit .... does that mean providing the FPGA input/output/control/whatever at the edge of the card ? That being related to "... it should link the fpgas in JTAG, for easy programming..." ?

Secondly... - the Samtec connectors are currently on 12-weeks lead-time, so if we started TODAY, then shipping a P002 in November, but surely in time for going under the X-Mas tree.

Ah, well since you put it like that .... there's always room under the Xmas tree! ;)

I backed Parallella for two 16 core cards, so I tell you what : I'll buy ( or Kickstart ) whatever you make ( Premium level if you like ) just don't ask me to specify it! I'll accept best guess design from those that know way better. 8-)

Cheers, Mike.
hewsmike

Postby 9600 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:38 pm

hewsmike wrote:Got most of that, except the 'break-out' bit .... does that mean providing the FPGA input/output/control/whatever at the edge of the card ? That being related to "... it should link the fpgas in JTAG, for easy programming..." ?

Breaking out the PEC_FPGA signals to DIY-friendly 0.1" pitch pin headers to which you can easily attached ribbon cables etc.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Postby tschaboo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:56 pm

Sundance wrote: - or is the silence majority just happy?

I'm happy. And I certainly want one. Would I pay $99 for it? It hurts, but probably yes. But as you are a company i guess that's without VAT which would add another ~20% then there will be around $10 for (cheap) shipping to Europe and we're at $130. :cry:

I really like the design, it's really practical! It
1.) connects my two parallelas,
2.) gives another option for power supply,
3.) has the 0.1" breakouts that I would need anyways since there are unfortunately none on the parallela itself,
4.) can be extended with more backplanes.

Ideas for probably making it cheaper:
a.) how much could we save by optionally leaving out the four connectors for chaining the backplane?
b.) (to me) it looks like the expensive 8-layer board would be mostly empty around the middle of the two parallelas. would it be possible to make the board an E shape or some other clever outline so that you can put more boards in the same area (like a puzzle)?
c.) don't solder but only supply the through hole parts. (ATX-PSU is the only one i think?)

Whishlist:
*) Add a resistor for each board so that I can measure board-level power consumption individually. Should be doable for ~2 cents?
*) Make it possible to solder in a standard barrel power connector.
*) There seems to be a standard connector used for all those cheap displays (example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221267088238) from China. I don't know how those connectors are named but if there woud be solder points to solder in such a connector, that would be nice.
*) bring it down to EUR 50,- including tax and shipping ;)
tschaboo

Postby 9600 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:57 pm

tschaboo wrote:Whishlist:

I have a feeling that 8x Samtec connectors alone plus tax and shipping would cost not far off this figure. Perhaps someone who knows the actual pricing at MOQ could comment?

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Postby Sundance » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:23 am

9600 wrote:

I have a feeling that 8x Samtec connectors alone plus tax and shipping would cost not far off this figure. Perhaps someone who knows the actual pricing at MOQ could comment?

Cheers,

Andrew

http://www.arrow.com/item/detail/samtec ... -f-d-a-.fh

Manufacturer Part: BTH-030-01-L-D-A-TR
Manufacturer: Samtec
Quantity: MOQ 125
Price: $5.3387
Flemming Christensen
Mobile: +44 7 850 911 417;
Email: Flemming.C@Sundance.com
Company Home Page: http://www.sundance.com
Sundance

Postby Sundance » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:41 am

tschaboo wrote:
Sundance wrote: - or is the silence majority just happy?

I'm happy. And I certainly want one. Would I pay $99 for it? It hurts, but probably yes. But as you are a company i guess that's without VAT which would add another ~20% then there will be around $10 for (cheap) shipping to Europe and we're at $130. :cry:

Hi #tschaboo,

Tax & Death... - just can't run away from it. :evil:

1. The 'L-Shape' PCB will not help. 8-layers are not a lot more expensive than 4-layers and it has the be impendence match, etc. - and tested! The overall size cost. It's bit like the problem with 'Half-a-Hole' ;)

2. I have read that Gen (0) is running warm and a simple idea would then to add a "Full-Hole" that could fit a fan and cool from the bottom of the Parallella.

3. The connectors are simply expensive as running high-speed signals. If 'somebody' is going to make a Flexi-PCB with eLink connectors - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=494 - then could save the Board-to-Board connectors and two of the PEC connectors.

Flemming
Flemming Christensen
Mobile: +44 7 850 911 417;
Email: Flemming.C@Sundance.com
Company Home Page: http://www.sundance.com
Sundance

Postby schernichkin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Consider adding HDD/SSD solution. Either powered USB (user will need to buy SATA adapters), SATA interface with USB to SATA controller (this will spare some money comparing to buying adapters separately) or SATA interface connected to FPGA directly (full implementation may take about 5652 LUTs: http://www.xilinx.com/products/intellec ... 3RM31R.htm and possibly whould require sacrificing HDMI controller on z7010, but who needs HDMI on each cluster node?)
schernichkin

Postby Dr.BeauWebber » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:25 pm

Sundance wrote:
9600 wrote:

Cheers,

Andrew

http://www.arrow.com/item/detail/samtec ... -f-d-a-.fh

Manufacturer Part: BTH-030-01-L-D-A-TR
Manufacturer: Samtec
Quantity: MOQ 125
Price: $5.3387

For me, shipping to the UK doubled this connector price, then duty and tax shoved the price even higher ....
I still aim to do my best to do an ADC board, at least.
Dr.BeauWebber

Postby caliskan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:32 pm

@9600, this is an amazing idea and the suggestions have been wonderful, truly shows the potential of this forum. It is actually needed by a lot of people where I work and we use a lot of connectors that are grouped together which forms a badly formed cluster. This is definitely going to change that. One tiny suggestion though, please keep some space in the board for future modifications so that in case anyone has issues, the PCB could be modified a little without much change in mechanical measurements.
caliskan

PreviousNext

Return to Daughter Cards & Accessories