A 4-way cluster backplane

Sub forum for Parallella daughter cards and accessories

Moderator: Folknology

Re: A 4-way cluster backplane

Postby Gravis » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:20 am

Sundance wrote:You were NOT "The Another", You are going to find it interesting to connect to the 16-lane PCI Express Bus (ahh.. - could work with a 64-bit old-type PCI Bus, as found in PC's a long time ago) of your PC directly. ;)

unless i'm missing something, there should be enough IOs but yeah, my knowledge of PCIe is marginal right now though i get the feeling it will require a lot of overhead. however, i did find there is a PCI-SIG identifier specifically for coprocessors, so who knows.

why my initial idea was to add another FPGA, etc.

it was my initial idea too but i thought maybe there is the possibility for a direct connection.

That will be for another day :!:

hopefully sooner rather than later!
Gravis

Postby Greg Zuro » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:02 pm

I'd be interested in a quad backplane for sure.

I'm not sure what the Bittware product reference is meant to imply. That it's possible? I guess it's good for that, but the really impressive thing about it is the price. Has anyone tried to get pricing on Anemone products from Bittware?

-Greg
Greg Zuro

Postby Watse » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:51 pm

I think Bittware's anemone=epiphany. Am I wrong?

I would really like a 2-Parallella card like Sundance's last proposal. Just connect two together, with the possibility to add more. Two will be challenging enough for me. One is (but I ordered two).
I wondered, the simpelest way to make 2 Parallella's work like one would be a flat cable with two Samtec connectors, right? How are these stacks of Parallella's connected anyway?
Watse

Postby ysapir » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:48 pm

Watse wrote:I think Bittware's anemone=epiphany. Am I wrong?

That's right.
ysapir

Postby hewsmike » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:34 am

I really don't want to seem to rain on the parade but : as I haven't yet seen and fiddled with the basic product - I can't really be enthusiastic about a cluster at this time. It does sound good and yes it is a natural progression, for sure. But my suggestion would be to pop this on the back-burner, as it is quite likely that you will receive much more informed comment and thus a better final design when the community has really walloped the base board through it's paces .... :)

Cheers, Mike.
hewsmike

Postby Mad_Scientist » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:42 am

what the H do i need to go to school for to learn what you guys are talking about.. this is like greek and Im usually a pretty quick fellow :lol:
Mad_Scientist

Postby hewsmike » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:12 am

Mad_Scientist wrote:what the H do i need to go to school for to learn what you guys are talking about.. this is like greek and Im usually a pretty quick fellow :lol:

Basically the Epiphany architecture ( by design ) can cope with up to 4096 cores acting in parallel, in 64 rows of 64 processors each, connected by a common network. The question becomes : are they all on the same piece of silicon? Currently they have managed to stuff 64 cores on a single chip ( 8 rows of 8 cores ). Currently we have a boards which surround a given Epiphany chip, somewhat like a baby in a womb. I've backed for the 16 cores on a chip ( 4 rows of 4 cores ) type of board.

So looking to the present, and ahead, can one connect separate Epiphany chips ( each with their own core set ) that are on different boards ? You could call this a 'cluster' of boards. The 'backplane' for such is a generic term for : how do you power and connect the boards so that the separated Epiphany cores ( on different chips and different boards ) behave as if they were on the same silicon ?

Thus the discussion is about the hardware specifics - which I admit I don't completely follow - and there are numerous choices to make.

Cheers, Mike.
hewsmike

Postby Mad_Scientist » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 am

so hardware engineering then? :lol:

i wont clutter up this thread but i fully intend to go back to school on this. I want to join the fun and harness some of this power!!!
Mad_Scientist

Postby ticso » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:54 pm

I personally like the idea with the link cables.
Mechanically not a backplane, but it setups a similar structure.
ticso

Postby Sundance » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:42 pm

#Watse:
I would really like a 2-Parallella card like Sundance's last proposal. Just connect two together, with the possibility to add more. Two will be challenging enough for me. One is (but I ordered two).

Thanks; This the purpose of this topic. To gather some feedback.
I wondered, the simplest way to make 2 Parallella's work like one would be a flat cable with two Samtec connectors, right?

In principle; Correct. However, you will need a 60-way micro ribbon coax cables with 60x wires. Samtec only offer 50x wires. Also... - I have not checked the price, but likely to be USD300+ OK... - I can hear: "What about a Flexi-cable PCB".
That is an option. Will investigate, as Samtec used to build such cables.
How are these stacks of Parallella's connected anyway?

Through the Ethernet connection. This is a easy way, but slow. Not seen any benchmarks, but surely well below 100Mbytes speed for Epiphany <> Epiphany device, as also a routing delay, whereas the eLink of the Epiphany is peak-rated @ 2600Mbytes/sec. - and surely above 1000Mbytes/sec in real-life.

#hewsmike
I can't really be enthusiastic about a cluster at this time.

Fair enough. Always a good idea to play with one toy, before you want the next. Tried to teach my Kids that as well, but the P002 is NOT a "Cluster" system. It's has the function of adding 2x Parallella's via their Epiphany's eLink AND also provide the "Break-Out" for the FPGA lines to 0.1" Headers. It will be the easiest way to connect Xilinx JTAG cable, etc.

Secondly... - the Samtec connectors are currently on 12-weeks lead-time, so if we started TODAY, then shipping a P002 in November, but surely in time for going under the X-Mas tree.

#Mad_Scientist
The Epiphany has a route forward to scale. Called the "eLink" and has 48-wires running fast. Very fast.... - and this topic is trying to suggest a simple and in-expensive way to have multiple Parallella connected using this FAST interface, rather than Ethernet. If you got 2x P002's and 4x Parallella, then you could have 64x DSP Cores connected in Parallel. Clear as mud now, then ??

Do not worry... - it will be become clear one day, as actually so simple, for Hardware Engineers :ugeek:
Flemming Christensen
Mobile: +44 7 850 911 417;
Email: Flemming.C@Sundance.com
Company Home Page: http://www.sundance.com
Sundance

PreviousNext

Return to Daughter Cards & Accessories