[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Parallella wireless?

Parallella wireless?

Sub forum for Parallella daughter cards and accessories

Moderator: Folknology

Parallella wireless?

Postby Lou_Reed » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:08 pm

I have my Parallella connected to the internet via the RS0232 connecti0on and associated cables.

That is awkward to have cable snaking all through the house. I would rather go wireless, like I do for my laptops.

is this possible for the Parallella?

I have a powered USB hub with open USB connections.

I could use a USB Wi Fi. I have seen this work on laptops so maybe on a Parallella?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou_Reed
Lou_Reed

Re: Parallella wireless?

Postby 9600 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:01 pm

Yes, using a USB wireless adapter is possible. , but I see that there are RTL adapters in the now, so if you're using a recent kernel there may already be support.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby Lou_Reed » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:55 pm

How can we tell without actually buying a USB-Wi Fi if the software is already integrated into our Ubuntu kernel?

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou_Reed
Lou_Reed

Postby 9600 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:26 pm

The second link in my previous post was to the default configuration file which is used when building the Parallella kernel. This lists all the modules/drivers that will be integrated.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby manklee » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:59 pm

I plugged something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un- ... sb+adapter

into my powered USB hub, made some easy changes in "Preferences, Network connections" and was online. The above links to a different wireless usb adapter than the one I used. I can't find the exact model of my Edimax wireless usb adapter.
manklee

Postby 9600 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:14 am

Appears that Edimax model is based on a RealTek device. Perhaps you could add it to the page?

Note that you sometimes have to do a little bit of research to find out which particular chip a WiFi or LAN etc. adapter actually uses.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby manklee » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:27 pm

I added the device to the peripherals page.
manklee

Return to Daughter Cards & Accessories