Breakouts

Sub forum for Parallella daughter cards and accessories

Moderator: Folknology

Breakouts

Postby ESI » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi,
How about one or many breakoutboards?
I would like to have at least the JTAG on a breakout.
Maybe others want to have access to the Parallella pins for some projects, too, without directly soldering to Parallella.
br,
ESI
ESI

Re: Breakouts

Postby 9600 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:02 am

ESI wrote:Hi,
How about one or many breakoutboards?
I would like to have at least the JTAG on a breakout.
Maybe others want to have access to the Parallella pins for some projects, too, without directly soldering to Parallella.
br,
ESI

Simple breakout boards that transition from Samtec connectors to 0.1" pitch, for applications that don't have such high speed requirements, are definitely something that we'd like to see. And in fact I believe that Alan Wood (folknology) may be looking at something along these lines.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Postby Folknology » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:33 pm

Yes I am designing a breakout board too 0.1 Inch headers, if anyone has anything specific or further ideas they would like to express around the breakout board features please add to this thread as I would love to know what folks would like on it.

regards
Al
Folknology

Postby tcrisall » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:13 am

Folknology wrote:Yes I am designing a breakout board too 0.1 Inch headers, if anyone has anything specific or further ideas they would like to express around the breakout board features please add to this thread as I would love to know what folks would like on it.

regards
Al

I realize this may be a bit like nailing jelly to a tree - but any progress on this particular breakout board? I imagine there are others like myself who are interested in exposing some pins from the fpga in a more accessible manner...

An update would be great!

Thanks,

Tim
tcrisall

Postby markhu » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:44 pm

I'm envisioning 2 different kinds of breakout boards with the 0.1 inch header spacing.

One would have the Samtec connector facing "up" and 2 single-rows of male header pins sticking "down", at the appropriate spacing for attachment to a breadboard.

Another would have both the Samtec connector and headers (probably female, double-row) on the same side of the board, for projects not using a breadboard. Maybe a couple of sub-variants here, one minimalistic, i.e. one Samtec connector and one double-row of headers, and another multiple Samtec connectors and double-headers on two sides (or even 3 or 4 sides) of the main board.

One model to follow would be the "Stick-It" adapter board allowing Paipilio-style "wings" and PMOD devices to be connected easily to Xess.com XuLA FPGA dev board.

markhu

Postby tnt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:37 am

I've just sent a breakout board to fab and after having to route it, I can tell you that properly breaking out that much GPIOs while respecting the differential pairs and length matching (ok, I went a bit overboard on that last one), is not trivial.

If you want to spread power and GND properly this takes a lot of pins and those .1 inch header are not small, especially when you need like 80 of them :p
tnt

Postby 9600 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:19 am

tnt wrote:I've just sent a breakout board to fab and after having to route it, I can tell you that properly breaking out that much GPIOs while respecting the differential pairs and length matching (ok, I went a bit overboard on that last one), is not trivial.

If you want to spread power and GND properly this takes a lot of pins and those .1 inch header are not small, especially when you need like 80 of them :p

Can you post a Gerber plot? I'd like to see this :D
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Postby tnt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:09 pm

tnt

Postby DeanoC » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:23 pm

For a break-out board I'd like to see most of the 'slow' I/O brought out into a nice format (0.1" being the obvious one).

Most vital is JTAG (why that's buried in an obscure high speed connector is about the only bit of the design I can't quite figure out :-/)
I2C would be nice for debugging and hooking up some little devices
SPDIF for providing basic audio without using the complexity of HDMI packet encoding in the PL
And then a hand full of GPIOs

I'm wanting to use mine in a bare-metal situation, and tbh assumed the JTAG would be easily connectible, only just noticed that's is basically SMD only accessible :( So a nice JTAG breakout board will likely be the difference between using and not using ( I'd like to make my own break out board if one doesn't appear but that's not something I've ever done so ... )
DeanoC

Postby MfA » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:42 pm

I'd like to see some fast I/O broken out on convenient connectors as well, SATA connectors for instance.
MfA

Next

Return to Daughter Cards & Accessories